Social Media Statistics 2019
The last few years have seen the meteoric rise of Social Media in all aspects, but an especially great impact has been seen in the marketing world, where social media has quickly become one of the hottest mediums for marketers!
Given the gigantic user base and the amount of daily time being spent on these platforms, marketers have a great opportunity to enhance their brand’s presence in front of more than 3 billion users! However, along with this, marketers face the challenge of creating the right social media strategy, which quickly becomes a complex process given the number of social media platforms, with each having a different audience and a unique strategy for success.
Hence, in order to help fellow marketers understand the peculiar patterns, latest trends and paradigm shifts in the vast ocean called social media, we have compiled a bunch of latest stats about all the leading platforms to enable you to plan your next marketing campaign armored with the latest information out there!
Social Media Statistics:
- Average daily time spent by users on social media is 116 minutes a day
- 91% of Social Media users are accessing social channels via mobile devices
- Social video content generates 1200% more shares than text and images
- 63% of customers expecting companies to offer customer service via their social channels
- Facebook, Twitter, and LinkedIn contributed to 90% of social traffic to B2B blogs and sites
- 96% of the people that discuss brands online do not follow those brands
- Users grew by 320 million between September 2017 and October 2018
- 81% of teenagers felt social media has a positive effect on their lives
- Facebook has seen an 8% increase rate in monthly active users year on year, from 2.32 billion users for Q4 2018 to 2.38 billion users for Q1 2019, while daily active users count reached 1.56 billion.
- India stands at #1 position with the highest number of Facebook user base of 300 million for January 2019. Whereas the U.S. is in the second position with 210 million users.
- 96% of Facebook users access the platform through mobile devices.
- Facebook has 90 million business pages and 7 million-plus active advertisers as of Q1 2019.
- The Facebook new user base has seen 6 new user profiles created per second and 500,000 new profiles each day.
- 97% of social advertisers chose Facebook as their most used and useful social media platform
- The percentage of teenage users has now dropped from 71% in 2015 to 51%
- 40% of the consumers reported that they watch the maximum videos on Facebook
- 84% of users earn less than $30K per annum
- Facebook paid Publishers and Celebrities $50 Million To Use Facebook Live
- 22% of the world’s total population uses the platform
- 49% of businesses plan to use Facebook in 2017 for marketing purposes
- Facebook Hit 5 Million Advertisers by turning users into marketers
- The average user spends 35 minutes on Facebook a day
- 62% of people said they were more interested in a product after seeing it in a Facebook Story
- The average cost per click in Facebook ads across all industries is $1.72
- The average click-through rate in ads across all industries is .90%
- 26% of users who clicked on a Facebook Ad report making a purchase
- Instagram has 1 billion+ monthly active users while 500 million+ users log in every day.
- 71% of active monthly Instagram users are aged below 35 as of January 2019.
- 83% of users said they discover many new products & services on the Instagram platform. while 80% use the platform to decide whether to purchase a product or service.
- The topmost followed Instagram user account as of Jan 2019 is a soccer player ‘Cristiano Ronaldo‘ with 173 million followers. Whereas in India actress ‘Priyanka Chopra‘ with over 42.6 million followers.
- 39.4% Instagrammers use less than 15 hashtags for a post, 40.8% between 15-30 hashtags and 19.8% use 3o hashtags.
- 7 out of 10 Hashtags on Instagram are branded
- 80% of users follow at least one business on the app
- Instagram now has 8 million Business profiles
- Posts with at least one hashtag have 12.6% more engagement than those without
- Over 200 million users actively visit a business profile every day
- 60% of the top brands use the same filter for every post
- Users posting 46,740 photos every minute
- Instagram is ahead of Facebook with an engagement rate of 1.60% per post for brands
- Advertisers spending 23% more on Instagram than on Facebook
- Videos get 21.2% more interactions compared to images
- Instagram earns $595 million in mobile ad revenue per year
- Instagram receives 4.2 billion likes every day
- 68% of users engage with brands regularly, where 50% follow a business
- The average user spends 15 minutes a day on the app
- Posts tagged with another user (56%) or location (79%) have higher engagement rates
- 80% of Influencers prefer Instagram for Brand Collaboration
- Photos generate 36% more engagement than videos
- Linkedin has 610 million members and 303 million monthly active users.
- 7 out of 10 professionals describe LinkedIn as a trustworthy source of professional content
- Average users spend 17 minutes on the platform every day
- Posts that include a link receive 200% more engagement
- 62% of users engage with content on the platform because they found it educational or informative
- More than 120 professionals join LinkedIn every minute
- Only 3 million Linkedin users (out of the more than 500 million) share content on a weekly basis
- 39% of LinkedIn users pay for monthly premium accounts
- 60 million users access their accounts every month via desktop, while 20 million access via mobile
- Posts that end with a question receive 50% more engagement
- 61 million users are senior-level influencers and 40 million are in decision-making positions
- 73% of B2B companies said that they use this to engage with their clients/prospects
- How-to & list posts perform the best on LinkedIn
- Simply having a profile picture helps get up to 21x more profile views and up to 9x connection requests
- Articles with titles between 40-49 characters perform the best on LinkedIn
- There are 9 billion content impressions in the LinkedIn feed every week.
- Increase in InMail response rate is 15% when it is personalized
- Increase in InMail response rate is 21% when the recipient shares a LinkedIn group with the sender
- 20,000 US companies use LinkedIn to recruit
- 87% recruiters use LinkedIn
- Placements sourced through LinkedIn are 40 % less likely to leave the company within the first 6 months
- LinkedIn influenced placements are 2x more likely to be high demand and above average hires.
- Pinterest has 291 million active users every month as of Q1 2019
- 67% of Pinterest users are under 40-years-old
- 80 percent of new sign-ups come from outside the United States
- More than 14 million articles are getting pinned each day
- 98 percent of users go out and try the ideas they find on Pinterest
- 18.5% of active users make a purchase at least once a month by getting inspired from Pinterest
- Pinterest is the 2nd largest traffic driver to social sites with over 1 million businesses
- Pinterest drives 33 percent more traffic than Facebook
- 85 percent of women users use Pinterest to plan “life moments”
- 93% of users use the platform to plan or make purchases
- Users making 2 billion searches on Pinterest every month and 97% of those searches are unbranded
- Pinterest is forecast to grow ad revenue by 40 percent in 2019
- Average users spend 14.2 minutes per visit
- The average number of Pins made by an active female user is 158
- The average pin is re-pinned 11 times, It takes a pin 3.5 months to get 50% of its engagement
- 61% of users made purchases after seeing branded content on Pinterest
- Twitter’s revenue for the first quarter of 2019 is 786.89 million U.S. dollars, while it was $665 million in Q1 2018.
- Twitter monthly active users count reached 33o million by the 1st quarter this year.
- Each year twitter has seen an 11% growth in daily active user base (134 million daily active users).
- Twitter dropped the number of accounts a user can follow each day from 1,000 to 400.
- 58% of top brands have over 100,000 followers, where 17% have over 1 million followers
- Advertising cost-per-engagement (year over year) has decreased by 14%
- Tweets with images receive 18% more click throughs, 89% more likes and 150% more retweets
- 65.8% of US companies with 100+ employees use Twitter for marketing
- Average users spending 2.7 minutes on Twitter every day, 75% to get their news
- 80% of users have mentioned a brand in a tweet
- 45% of Americans use Twitter
- 82 million users accessing their accounts every month via desktop, while 31 million with mobiles
- 92% of companies have tweeted more than once a day, 19% tweet minimum 6 times a day, 42% tweet 1-5 times each day
- 70% of small business followers retweet content, the average user follows five businesses
- Advertising on Twitter is 6 times more expensive than on Facebook . However, Twitter ads have a CTR 8 to 24 times higher than Facebook
- 41% of people purchased products after being exposed to an ad in the last 30 days
- On average, around 6,000 tweets are tweeted every second
- Snapchat has 190 million active daily users for the first quarter of 2019
- 78% of American 18-24 year olds use the platform
- 47% of US teens think it’s better than Facebook, while 24% than Instagram
- Snapchat users share 527,760 photos every minute
- 3 billion snaps are created every day
- 528,000 Snaps are sent every minute around the world
- Snapchat’s made $320 million in revenue for the first quarter of 2019.
- $90 million was spent by advertisers on Snapchat
- Average users spent 25 minutes a day on the platform
- Over 50% of users will open a brand’s story, where only 86% will watch the entire story
- More than 20,000 photos are shared every second on Snapchat
- Snapchat makes $1.4 Average Revenue per user in Q2 2018
- Snapchat’s price per share is $9.19, as of February 2019
- 27% of businesses plan to use Snapchat for video trends in 2017
- Snapchat’s geofilters are viewed 2.16 billion times a day through stories and direct snaps
- WhatsApp hits 1.5 billion monthly active users
- WhatsApp Status now has 500 million daily active users
- Users spend over 2 billion minutes on calls per day
- 65 billion messages per day sent via WhatsApp
- 70% Of WhatsApp users also use Facebook messenger regularly
- WhatsApp is installed on 94.8% of all android devices in India
- There are 3 million companies using WhatsApp Business App
- WhatsApp is the 3rd most downloaded Android app in the world
- An average user checks the App more than 23 times per day
- WhatsApp bans 2 million fake accounts per month
- Users making over 55 million video calls per day
- WhatsApp spent zero cash on marketing, PR, and user acquisition
- Average per user hits 115.9 sessions per month
- WhatsApp is responsible for 30% of selfies shared on social media
- 2 billion logged in viewers visit YouTube every single month
- Average users watch 40 minutes of video every day
- YouTube reports mobile video consumption rises 100% every year
- More than 50 percent of views come from mobile devices
- 90% of users say that product videos are helpful in the decision process
- 64% of users are more likely to buy a product online, after watching a video
- In 2015 YouTube posted the figure of 40 billion all-time views for branded content
- PewDiePie is the most popular YouTube channel, with 85 million subscribers
- 95% of the popular YouTube videos are music videos
- YouTube is the top iOS app of the year 2018
- Users watch 4,146,600 videos every minute
- YouTube mobile ads are 84% more likely to hold attention than TV ads
- 500 hours of video is uploaded to Youtube every minute
- YouTube is available in more than 91 countries and 80 languages
- 47% of on-demand music streaming was listened to on YouTube
- TikTok is available in 150 markets in 75 languages with 800 million installations.
- TikTok has 500 Million monthly active users, and 29 percent of them open the app every day.
- Analysts estimate that TikTok earns $1.4 million per month.
- TikTok is the most downloaded non-gaming app in the Apple app store with 45.8 million downloads in the Q1 of 2018, while being the 6th most downloaded app in the world.
- 66 percent of users are younger than 30 years old.
- Average users, usually spend around 52 minutes per day scrolling through videos on TikTok.
- Top Views have been recorded on the Raindrop Challenge with 685.7 million views.
- While 54% of engaged TikTok users have claimed to have commented on a video, 43% of them have uploaded a ‘Duet’ video.
- Reddit is the 5th most popular site in the U.S. and the 6th most visited site globally.
- Reddit has 330 million monthly active users with 54% users from the U.S.
- Reddit is generating 168 billion-plus views each year. Also, its user base has increased by 30% in the past 6 months.
- The subreddits number has reached a figure of 853,000.
- 2.8 million comments are left on a daily basis by Reddit users, while a total of 58 million up or down votes are received.
- The average user spends 16 minutes each day on Reddit.
- An average of 40 million searches happens on Reddit every day, whereas 5 million minutes of video is viewed.
- 79% of Reddit users fall in the 18-34 age group.
- Reddit ad business expected to grow nearly 55%, crossing the $100 million revenue mark this year.
- Reddit has nearly 150,000 active communities, with 53% men and 47% women users.
- Weibo has 600 million registered users with 462 million monthly active users.
- 94% of monthly active users access it on mobile devices.
- Weibo’s net revenue increased by 14% year-over-year to reach a figure of $399.2 million in the first quarter of 2019.
- Average users spend 4.2 minutes on the platform.
- Weibo has a large user base in China and in Chinese communities spread across than 190 countries.
- 76% of Weibo users have a high education background. While 16% have medium education and 8% have a low education background.
- 17-33 years old users are the major contributors for Weibo large information flow.
- Weibo generates a strong advertising and marketing revenue with total advertisers reaching 832,000.