Interview with Sopan J Upadhyay, Assistant VP Marketing at Tata Capital Housing Finance Limited
With over 15 years of experience in marketing, Sopan J Upadhyay has a proven track record for delivering innovative and effective solutions to business problems ensuring the right quality of conceptualization and flawless execution. During his successful career journey, he got to with brands like Parle Bisleri, Tata Aig, HDFC Bank, and IDBI Federal. Currently, he is the Assistant Vice President of Marketing at Tata Capital Housing Finance Limited.
Your Journey as a Marketing Professional.
I’m a passionate marketing professional with over 16 years of rich experience in BFSI & FMCG vertical. In these years of my professional journey, I have managed a variety of critical responsibilities, like managing campaigns and budgets, to enlightening consumers on products, to working with investors and stakeholders to determine possible marketing opportunities.
As a marketing professional, I believe you have to be a creative, confident conversationalist, well-planned, and thoughtful. I have done it all, from tracking trends to creating strategies, from coordinating to monitoring competitors. These enriching experiences have shaped me into an individual that I am today.
After having worked in many companies before, like Parle, Bisleri, TATA AIG, HDFC, IDBI Federal and now with TATA Capital, I have accomplished amazing things in my career so far. Suggesting modifications and adding value to the brand is my forte and have proved my mettle in delivering pioneering and efficient solutions to business problems and ensuring quality solutions.
I was fortunate to get into major integral aspects of marketing like Branding, PR, Digital Marketing, Direct Marketing, Channel Marketing, and Product Marketing. The true essence of my professional journey is based on being experience rich. I have also done multiple product launches, events, activations and ROI campaigns.
With my rich journey, I have developed astute creative judgment, eye for detailing and fine execution competency. I also have the expertise to adeptly managing teams and stakeholders like creative & media houses, event agencies, production vendors, and internal stakeholders in implementing projects for a product, channel and brand promotion.
I’m highly enthusiastic with strong interpersonal skills, result-oriented approach, curious learner, and an excellent team-player. I have the good fortune of being acknowledged & rewarded as the ‘Most Influential Marketing Leaders 2017-18’ (World Marketing Congress – Nov 2017) & the ‘Most Influential and Talented Marketing Professional in Financial Services’ (World Marketing Congress – Nov 2016).
What are the primary marketing channels you have worked on?
I have spent maximum time in BFSI companies and have handled multiple channels like Agency, Bancassurance, Direct Marketing and Digital. But, working on the retail channel is the most demanding of all because of their dynamic nature, especially the FMCG vertical!
What will be your advice to young marketers on each of these channels?
- Don’t stop at just selling your ideas, just be on it and accomplish results and solve the problem at large. Amalgamate your marketing plan with your company’s goal. Go the extra mile to create a significant impact; otherwise, your efforts are insignificant.
- Each domain has its own set of challenges and opportunities. Understand the dynamics of each channel before you work on the marketing solution. More time you spend in understanding your customers and channels, you will be able to churn out valuable solutions to the business.
What are some of the important marketing software that you have used and found to be really useful for your company?
- Asset Link is absolutely effective in connecting the gamut of marketing stakeholders in one application. From brief initiation to final creative development to print/production everything is unified under one app.
- IBM Unica Campaign & Afinium– An intelligent marketing solution to manage multiple cross-sell campaigns. It provided end-to-end result-oriented campaigns and also helps in generating some quality leads and business.
Which companies, according to you, are your competitors? How do you differentiate against these?
Tata Capital is Non-Banking Financial Company (NBFC) and Tata Capital Housing Finance is ‘Housing Finance’ company which provides various types of Home Loans, Home Equity, and Construction Finance loans. There are over 100 HFCs in India offering different types of mortgage solutions.
At Tata Capital, we offer one-stop financial service provider that caters to the diverse needs of retail, corporate and institutional customers across businesses. Our core strength is providing structured loans, products with best ROI, strong after-sales service and customer-centric approach. But according to me, our core strength lies in the fact that we are a TATA company which is an epitome of trust, respect, and integrity!
Your 2-line advice to people entering in the marketing domain.
- Evolve and keeps your learning curve growing, else you will become obsolete.
- Fortune always rewards those who deliver results instead of focusing on getting credit.